DALLAS’ COMMUNITIES HAVE ACCESS TO SUSTAINABLE, AFFORDABLE, TRANSPORTATION OPTIONS.
INSTALL 1,500 EV CHARGING OUTLETS TO SUPPORT 39,000 VEHICLES THROUGHOUT THE CITY BY 2030.
ALL NEW TRANSIT BUSES AND LIGHT DUTY VEHICLES PURCHASED BY THE CITY, DALLAS SCHOOLS, AND DART AFTER 2030 TO BE FULLY ELECTRIFIED, AND THEN FULL FLEET TRANSITION BY 2040.
SINGLE OCCUPANT VEHICLE TRAVEL MODE SHIFT FROM 88% TO 79% BY 2030 AND 88% TO 62% BY 2050.
The transportation sector, which includes private and public vehicles, trains, and planes, contributes 34% of GHG emissions for the City of Dallas, of which 98% is attributed to on-road transportation. A majority (76.8%) of Dallas residents drive to work alone, while the remaining 23.2% carpool (11.1%), telework (4.87%), use public transit (3.8%), walk (1.9%) or bicycle (0.3%). Only 18.7% of all residents are within a 10-minute walk of a transit stop. Dallas County also fails to meet federal air quality standards for ground level ozone, which is the direct result of internal combustion engines. Solutions in this sector are aimed at shifting the dominant commuting mode away from single-occupancy, gasoline-powered vehicles by using active and public transportation, transportation demand management, vehicle fuel-switching and vehicle efficiency, and increasing the overal share of electric vehicles.
Resources for Residents
DART Vanpool Service
Commute for a whole month on the price of a tank of gas with the DART Vanpool service, available to those commuting from an area not served by DART rail or bus. Riders are guaranteed a seat each day and up to two emergency rides home per quarter.
Try Parking It
Join the Try Parking It app to find greener commute options like carpool, vanpool, and transit in north central Texas. Earn rewards from participating businesses for tracking your greener trips.
DART Bike and Ride
Check out DART’s Bike and Ride program. Bike & Ride commuting combines the cost-effectiveness of public transit with the health benefits of cycling.
Resources for Businesses
DART Vanpool Service
Encourage your employees to use the DART Vanpool service by offering pre-tax commuter benefits and/or offering a small subsidy. Vanpool riders get to skip the traffic by riding in the HOV lane and will show up to work less drained from their commutes.
Electric Vehicle Charging Stations
DART Employer Annual Pass Program
Consider the DART Employer Annual Pass program. Offering an annual DART pass to your employees can boost employee productivity and morale while also offering tangible benefits to your company’s bottom line.
FOCUS ON: TRANSPORTATION
Fleet Electrification Study
The City of Dallas is evaluating potential options to transition its fleet to Zero Emissions Vehicles (ZEVs) and has contracted with the U.S. Department of Energy's National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) to conduct a fleet electrification study. This study is currently underway and will provide a detailed analysis to support the conversion of City fleet to ZEVs. Estimated completion in Fiscal Year 2021-2022.
On April 28, 2021, the Dallas City Council unanimously adopted Connect Dallas, the City’s first-ever Strategic Mobility Plan. Connect Dallas represents a bold new way of thinking about transportation. Because funding is limited, the plan creates a framework for investing and responding to 21st century problems in a way that best achieves broader city goals, or Driving Principles, and a preferred vision for transportation in Dallas.
Parking Code Amendment
The Parking Code Amendment process includes the review of current parking regulations and, based on research, best practices, and parking codes of other cities, determining any necessary amendments to the City Code. The intent is to accommodate the parking needs of development, preserve community character, and balance the needs of pedestrians, bicyclists, transit users and cars. Please visit the website for updates and public meetings.
Electric Vehicle Charging Grant
The Volkswagen State Environmental Mitigation Trust is part of a settlement agreement in the litigation between the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the State of California, and Volkswagen (VW) and its related entities. As part of this settlement, funds are being made available through a TCEQ-administered grant for publicly-available Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE). The City of Dallas has been awarded 10 EVSE and is working with the North Central Texas Council of Governments to publicize the grant opportunity.
DART Bus Network Redesign
DART is undergoing a collaborative planning effort to decide where bus lines should go, when they should run, and how frequent the service should be, starting from a clean slate. The DARTzoom: A New Bus Network project will examine the DART bus network in all 13 of the cities that collect sales taxes to fund DART services.